A Manic Pixie Dream Girl (sometimes abbreviated MPDG) is a heterosexual woman who makes a new date less shy, lonely and depressed through pursuing him, showing interest in him, being likeable, advertising their preferences, and being energetically positive.
They are also determined, courageous, almost always happy, have a quirky personality, and are nonconformist. Manic Pixie Dream Girls also experience infatuation very fast, and like a fairy, shows up in a man's life when he least expects it.
The term is also used as a pejorative sometimes.
Some feminist women claim that female characters who go out of their way to make a man, "open up", are mere tools of the patriarchy, and subject to an, "oppressive", role of caretaker. They will insult women who meet men half way in dating as, "pick mes".
Men also sometimes join in on using, "Manic Pixie Dream Girl", as a pejorative. A man even coined the term as a pejorative. Often men will insist that, "if it's too good to be true it probably is", and insist without evidence that any Manic Pixie Dream Girl just has borderline personality disorder and, "should be avoided".
Manic Pixie Dream Girls are also criticized as being too focused on individual men, and not taking enough time for themselves.
Types of manic pixie dream girls
Manic Pixie Dream Girls can often be found in communities of female weebs. Female weebs or women dressed as anime characters are also often typecast as Manic Pixie Dream Girls in movies.
Female nerds and outcasts in general are often typecast as Manic Pixie Dream Girls.
- Zoe Kazan in Ruby Sparks
- Yvonne Strahovski in I, Frankenstein
- Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sabrina, Roman Holiday
- Helena Bonham Carter in Fight Club
- Scarlett Johansson in Her
- Charlize Theron in A Million Ways to Die in the West
- Kirsten Dunst in Elizabethtown
- Natalie Portman in Garden State
- Anna and April on “Gilmore Girls”
- Zooey Deschanel in 500 Days of Summer
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
- Diane Keaton in Annie Hall
- Kate Hudson in Almost Famous
- Belle (Paige O’Hara) in Beauty and the Beast
- Every Woman Don Draper Cheats on His Wives With, the First Time They Have Sex
- Ponyo in Ponyo
- Sam in The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- Daisy Buchanan in The Great Gatsby
- Daisy in Daisy Miller
- Alaska in Looking for Alaska
- Clarisse in Fahrenheit 451
- Hermine in Steppenwolf
- Tiffany in The Silver Linings Play Book
- Midori in Norwegian Wood
- Lavinia Whateley in H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction
- Leslie Burke in Bridge to Terabithia