|Founders:||Christopher Poole ("Moot")|
|Frontend Admins:||Hiroyuki Nishimura|
|Writers:||anonymous and pseudo-anonymous posters|
4chan is many things to many people. Originally Faux News viewed 4chan as a hazardous “Leftist Internet Hate Machine” filled with domestic terrorists. To others, it is that site full of astroturfers, weeaboos, trolls, children, and pedophiles that churns out some of the internet’s most viral content.
4chan developed it’s own subculture defined by trolling, sociopathy, far-right-wing politics, and anti-feminism. This subculture as of 2022 permeates much of the internet including many incel forums.
At least 3 likely users or fans of the site have gone onto commit highly-publicized mass killings, with one alleged perpetrator pending a domestic terrorism charge.
At its core, 4chan is an anonymous Japanimation-themed collection of image boards based on the popular Japanese site Futaba Channel. 4chan is proof positive that the United States should not have stopped with Hiroshima and Nagasaki. So, not surprisingly, most of the nsfw imageboards consist of hentai and shock images. 4chan is like the butt-plug of the Internet in that it holds all the shit inside the rectums so it doesn’t spray out all over. When 4chan goes down, it’s like the Internet has explosive diarrhea.
4chan got it’s start from Something Awful. Moot and some other faggots needed a site that they could host their creepy anime. Moot also had an obsession with 2Channel so he decided to download Futabally and translate it to English, then host it on a webserver. He originally sent it to 20 of his goon friends and eventually everyone in SA’s Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse and every other Something Awful board full of closet anime pedophiles (all of them) started to use 4chan and the Internet Hate Machine began.
Launched on October 1, 2003; the site quickly became popular, expanded, and now features boards dedicated to a wide variety of topics, from anime/manga to videogames, music, literature, fitness, politics, and sports. /b/ was the first board to be created, and is the one that receives the most traffic. It’s an open secret that /b/ is modded by the feds.
Loss of founder
On January 2015, moot stepped down as the site’s administrator citing stress from controversies such as Gamergate as the reason for his departure. On September 2015, moot announced that Hiroyuki Nishimura had purchased from him the ownership rights to 4chan, without disclosing the terms of the acquisition. In October 2016, it was reported that the site was facing financial difficulties that could lead to its closure or radical changes.
4chan is known for The Fappening, the leak of Sarah Palin’s emails during the 2008 election, Project Chanology, Gamergate, Anonymous, The Alt-Right, child porn, terrorist threats, and a handful of murders/suicides.
Associated mass killings
- 2015 Umpqua Community College shooting
- Christopher Harper-Mercer killed 10 people at a community college. He identified as involuntarily sexless, and showed an entitlement to sex in his manifesto. A day before the shooting, a post showed up on 4chan.org/r9k that is widely believed to be a note from Chris warning of the attack.
- 2018 Toronto Van Attack
- Alek Minassian (then 25 years old) killed 10 random pedestrians during a van attack. He told a friend he used 4chan, and his Facebook post before the attack referenced posts that were common on 4chan.org/r9k and 4chan.org/pol from 2014-2018.
- 2022 Buffalo grocery store mass shooting
- White supremacist and neo-nazi supporter Payton Gendron (then 18 years old) shot and killed 10 people in and around a grocery store. The store was predominantly used by African Americans and the shooting was racially motivated by the Payton's own admission. In Payton's manifesto, Payton used racist memes from 4chan.org/pol/, self-identified as a racist, and referenced common comedians/jargon/phrases found on 4chan.org/pol/. Payton stated explicitly in his manifesto that his radicalization began with 4chan. He was charged with domestic terrorism and 10 counts of first degree murder.
- Wikipedia: 4chan